Non Profit Partners
Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs, Inc. (TLCAD)
TLCAD began as a small non-profit, all volunteer organization in 1998 with a goal to train Service Dogs for those seeking a fuller, more independent life. At the time, the demand was for dogs who could assist with mobility, seizures, cerebral palsy, Tourette's and hearing issues. Responding to the needs of our changing world, TLCAD now endeavors to focus their high standards of Service Dog training in two specific arenas. The first of these is the Leash-On-Life Program, developed to assist children and families who have been impacted by autism. The second is the At Ease Program, created to serve the needs of our country's Wounded Warriors.
Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs, Inc. (TLCAD) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to provide custom-trained dogs to individuals in San Diego County whose lives could be made better by being paired with a Service Dog.
In order to achieve this mission, Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs, Inc. (TLCAD):
- Understands the benefits of placing dogs whose natural disposition and unique talents match a client’s personality and individual needs.
- Knows that in order to ensure long term success for both dog and client, the training begins as early as possible and endures throughout the working life of the dog.
- Offers to the client a highly skilled Assistance Dog at no charge.
The results of this mission can be witnessed in:
- Individuals with a special need, a challenge or a disability actively participating in and contributing to the world around them.
- Setting the standard for a professional, dependable and happy working dog.
- Increasing awareness and public education of disabilities and Assistance Dogs.
Why choose TLCAD?
- We are a non-profit organization that has been training Service Dogs in San Diego County since 1998.
- We place Service Dogs at no cost to the client.
- We custom train Wounded Warrior Service Dogs for the unique needs of those with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and mobility limitations.
- We custom train Autism Service Dogs to meet the specific needs of individuals on the Autism Spectrum.
- We are fully accredited by Assistance Dogs International (ADI).
- We provide lifetime follow-up and remedial training of the Service Dogs that we place.
- We use only positive reinforcement training methods.
Wounded Warrior Service Dogs
At Ease Service Dogs
Autism Service Dogs
For a child with autism, the world out there feels a little bit safer when accompanied by a dog. Public experiences such as grocery stores and movie theaters often no longer seem as threatening. Walking into a crowded mall is not as overwhelming as it used to be and with the reduced anxiety, amusement parks can even be fun.
Facility Service Dogs
Facility Dog Program
In addition to dogs that are trained to assist an individual, TLCAD also trains dogs to serve the needs of many in their Facility Dog Program. These highly specialized dogs touch the lives of children in special needs schools and developmental therapy centers as well as veterans in outpatient clinics at military hospitals both on and off base.